Steven has over 5 years’ experience advising on procurement, drafting and negotiation of construction contracts. He has particular expertise advising clients in relation to commercial developments as well as PPP/PFI projects (including infrastructure, schools and hospitals, renewable energy projects and district heating/cooling).
Steven also has considerable experience advising clients in relation to disputes and dispute avoidance including litigation, arbitration, expert determination, mediation and adjudication.
Prior to joining Al Tamimi & Company Steven practiced at a leading UK law firm, acting for central and local government and private sector employers and funders as well as contractors and specialist sub-contractors.
- Acting for various private developers in relation to substantial retail and residential developments.
- Acting for the owner of an internationally renowned sporting facility in relation to the development of new facilities, ground works and a long term facilities management contract.
- Undertaking due diligence for a main contractor seeking to take-over a partially completed high-rise tower following the employer’s insolvency.
- Preparing contract documents for a UK government department for the design, construction and operation of the UK Pavilion at Expo 2020.
- Acting for contractors, employers and funders in relation to renewable energy projects. Drafting, negotiating and reporting on contract documents including EPC’s, TSAs, civil works contracts, balance of plant contracts, PPAs and grid connection agreements.
- Acting for a range of investment funds and banks carrying out due diligence on renewable energy projects including the purchase of a £500 million solar energy portfolio.
- Drafting and negotiating construction, maintenance and heat supply documentation in respect of a shared district heating/cooling project.
- Advising on and drafting submissions in an AED 120 million DIAC arbitration concerning a residential tower in Dubai Marina for a major Dubai developer.
- Advising on and drafting submissions in a AED 160 million DIAC arbitration concerning the construction of two residential and one hotel tower in Dubai for the employer.
- Advising on and drafting submissions in an ICC arbitration concerning a major sporting facility in Qatar for a key-subcontractor.
- Advising a sub-contractor on commencing an ad-hoc arbitration in Oman in respect of a prestigious hotel development.
- Assisting a Japanese main contractor with dispute resolution strategy and claims assessment in relation to the design and construction of a water treatment facility in Iraq.
- Drafting submissions and leading on elements of a £70 million expert determination in respect of a highways maintenance PFI contract in the UK.
- Acting for contractors and employers in a number of cases before the UK Courts and in arbitration and adjudication. Assisting client’s with mediation and commercial settlement of disputes.
2009 – LLB, University of Sheffield
2013 – Solicitor, England & Wales