Husam Hourani has over 25 years of experience advising clients on banking and finance related matters, family structuring, succession planning and IPOs in the United Arab Emirates. He also advises clients on major capital markets transactions in the United Arab Emirates, including in particular listings and/or offerings of different financial products on the Dubai Financial Market, Dubai International Financial Exchange and the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange, as well as continuing/reporting obligations and other regulatory matters related thereto. His work on conventional finance, Sharia-compliant products and capital markets wins him many fans.
Husam Hourani was awarded the “Managing Partner of the Year” award at the IFLR Awards 2013, 2014 and 2019 and was also named “Managing Partner of the Year” by ALB The Brief Middle East Law Awards 2012.
Following a 12-year stint as Managing Partner, Husam became Senior Partner of the firm from 1st January 2020.
Husam garners high praise from the leading legal directories:
“Husam Hourani continues to act as a solid resource for banking, finance and capital markets issues. He also earns recognition for his expertise in the regulatory field.” and “Everyone has a lot of respect for him in the market.”
Chambers & Partners (2018)
“Husam Hourani maintains a solid reputation in the fields of Banking and Finance and Capital Markets. He is highly experienced in advising on conventional finance and Shari’a compliant products as well as equity capital markets. Commentators praise his local market knowledge and highlight the respect in which he is held, saying that “he is one of those people everyone knows – he is well regarded”.
Chambers & Partners (2017)
“Husam Hourani has a broad advisory practice that encompasses conventional and Islamic banking, regulatory guidance and equity capital markets matters.” and “A big name in finance who is always pushing legal developments in the UAE.”
Chambers and Partners (2016)
“Sources comment on the strong drive Managing Partner Husam Hourani brings to the practice, as well as his extensive experience across the debt and equity spectrum. He is regularly instructed by regional and international financial institutions to advise on a wide range of transactions and regulatory matters.”
“Husam Hourani is a pre-eminent figure in the fields of finance and capital markets. His outstanding knowledge of the UAE legal environment makes him a reliable port of call for advice on regulatory matters, as well as a full range of conventional and Shari’a-compliant transactions”
Chambers & Partners (2015)
“Super bright and analytical” Husam Hourani earns praise for his knowledge of local laws and for his skilled handling of IPOs. He has a fantastic reputation and is viewed as “a very gifted lawyer”. He complements this with a capital markets offering, giving clients a seamless service. Commentators note Hourani is “an excellent lawyer full stop. I work with him a fair amount; he is super bright and analytical.”
Chambers & Partners (2014)
Chambers & Partners have also stated that “Husam Hourani is one of the most widely respected local lawyers in the UAE. Peers and clients say he stands out for his regulatory and Islamic finance knowledge”. They also note that “Husam Hourani stands head and shoulders above all other lawyers in Dubai when it comes to local law issues. He is always a pleasure to work with and makes clients feel well taken care of” and “Clients and peers repeatedly praise Husam Hourani’s outstanding professionalism and informed handling of a broad range of commercial matters. His expertise in equity issuances is particularly singled out”.
Legal 500 has stated that Husam Hourani is “very smart, responsive, intensely knowledgeable and equally capable in relation to Islamic and conventional banking” and has been described by clients as “the most knowledgeable banking lawyer in Dubai, insofar as the local market is concerned”.
IFLR 1000 states that “Peers respect Husam personally and professionally remarking that he is “tremendous” and “good to work with”. “Husam Hourani is one of the most experienced lawyers when it comes to UAE. He is technically very good but also extremely commercial”.
- Member of The Jordan Bar Association, The International Bar Association, The Law & Society Association, The International Institution for the Sociology of Law and The DIFC Courts’ Register of Practitioners.
- Member of the NASDAQ Dubai Listing Committee.
- Member of the NASDAQ Dubai Practioner Committee.
- Member of the DIFCA Legislative Committee.
- Co-author of book “Setting Up in the DIFC”, 2nd Edition – 2008.
- Co-author of article “Prosperity is the issue” published in the IFLR – September 2008.
- Co-author of article “The path to corporate transformation – converting a company to Islam” published in the “Bank Sarasin Alpen, Islamic Wealth Management Plan 2012”.
- Speaker at various seminars and conferences on different subjects including “UAE Banking and Finance”, “Islamic Finance”, “IPOs”, “Representative Offices in the UAE”, “Setting Up in the DIFC”, “Issuance and Listing of Bonds and Sukuks in the UAE”, “Securities in the UAE”, “Trust Structures and Family Offices”, “Company Restructure”, “Family Business Set Up in the DIFC”, “Islamic Finance Planning – Legal Issues and Structures”, “Cross Border Business in the GCC” and “UAE Bankruptcy Law”.
1993 – Masters of Laws/Sociology of Law, International Institute for the Sociology of Law
1992 – Bachelor of Law, University of Kent
1994 – Jordanian Bar