Peter Wood is Senior Counsel based in Dubai. Prior to this, he was Of Counsel with Norton Rose Fulbright in Dubai and a Senior Associate with Allens Linklaters based in Melbourne.
Peter has a broad range of experience at a senior, managerial level on multi-jurisdictional litigation, dispute resolution and general corporate and compliance matters for clients conducting business across a range of sectors including financial services, insurance and reinsurance, product liability, construction, real estate, hospitality and pharmaceuticals.
He has more than 12 years’ experience providing first class legal, strategic and compliance advice to some of the world’s largest corporations operating across these sectors. He has the care and conduct of high value, high profile domestic and international disputes and transactions and manage a team of legal associates and support staff.
Peter has represented clients in the County and Supreme Courts of Victoria, the Courts of the Dubai International Financial Centre and in institutional and ad-hoc domestic and international arbitrations. He has advised and represented clients in respect of regulatory investigations.
He is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and is recognised in the Legal 500 as a “name of note”.
- Representing an international operator of 5 star hotels in respect of high profile, multiple DIFC-LCIA arbitrations and proceedings in the Dubai, DIFC and Los Angeles Courts arising out of the purported termination of a hotel management agreement for the management and operation of a 5 star luxury hotel in Dubai.
- Advising a major Pakistani telecommunications company in respect of a DIFC-LCIA arbitration and proceedings in the DIFC and Pakistan Courts arising out of a dispute with its provider of satellite services.
- Advising master developers in respect of multiple high value arbitral proceedings in the Dubai International Arbitration Centre, including:
- advising a UAE master developer in a DIAC arbitration worth USD 50 million relating to a claim brought by a Turkish based main contractor concerning the non-payment of certified payment certificates under a contract to construct a number of residential buildings within Dubai.
- advising a UAE master developer in a DIAC arbitration worth USD 55 million relating to a claim brought by the main contractor concerning extensions of time under a contract to construct a number of residential buildings in one of Dubai’s iconic developments.
- Advising a major international bank in respect of its claim against an operational arm of the United Nations in a UAE based UNCITRAL governed arbitration.
- Advising a major lending institution in respect of multi-jurisdictional debt recovery proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria arising out of the collapse of a high profile managed investment scheme.
- Advising a “big four” accounting firm in respect of proceedings brought against it in respect of alleged negligent auditing services and the collapse of the Westpoint group of companies in Australia.
- Representing a leading global biotech company in respect of high profile proceedings commenced in the Federal Court of Australia in respect of significant physical damage allegedly caused to a patient following treatment with a flu vaccine.
- Advising the UAE branch of a leading international manufacturer of household goods and automotive parts in respect of its regulatory investigations into the conduct of its UAE based business partner.
- Advising corporate and individual clients in respect of high profile regulatory investigations and proceedings.
- Advising a global provider of engineering, manned diving and marine construction services in respect of the new UAE Federal Bankruptcy Law and potential debt recovery/winding-up proceedings.
- Advising the Dubai Financial Services Authority in respect of its applications for the appointment of Provisional Liquidators and the winding-up of a DIFC registered bank in the DIFC Courts.
- Advising the owner and operator of a major gas thermal power generation project in Pakistan in relation to a dispute with the EPC contractor consortium.
- Advising a leading global private equity firm (with $51.5 billion of capital under management) in relation to a multi-million dollar dispute with the Australian Taxation Office in respect of the purchase of Australia’s largest retail department store chain by its Cayman Islands and Luxembourg incorporated entities.
- Advising a global manufacturer of tobacco products in relation to numerous high profile health and smoking related proceedings brought against it in the County and Supreme Courts of Victoria in respect of alleged negligence and breaches of relevant Commonwealth legislation.
- Advising a major UAE based provider of healthcare insurance in respect of a claim brought against it in the DIFC Courts by its proposed provider of third party administration services.
- Advising one of the world’s largest mining companies in relation to proceedings brought by it against its insurance broker in the Supreme Court of Victoria in respect of alleged negligent brokering of political risk insurance policies on the London market, placed in respect of its diamond mining concession in Angola.
- Advising an ASX listed mining company in relation to a multi-million dollar dispute with its insurer arising out of an interruption to its business following an explosion and subsequent fire at its gas processing facilities on Varanus Island, Western Australia.
- Co-author: “Encyclopedia of International Commercial Litigation”, (Kluwer Law International, 2019)
- “The New Astana International Financial Centre”, published by Norton Rose Fulbright, April 2018
- “Dubai’s Al Maktoum International Airport en route to becoming the world’s largest”, published by Norton Rose Fulbright Legalflyer, July 2017
- Co-author: “An Overview of Product Liability Law in Australia” (2010 and 2011) in A. McDougall, P. Popat Q.C. (Eds.), International Product Law (Kluwer Law International BV, Netherlands)
- Co-author: “The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2013 (Australia)”, Published by Global Legal Group
- Speaker: Certificate in DIFC Courts Procedure, DIFC Academy of Law, August 2018
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Registered Legal Practitioner, DIFC Courts, UAE
2004 – Bachelor of Laws (with Honours), Monash University
2000 – Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy) & Bachelor of Music, The University of Melbourne
Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia
High Court of Australia
High Court of New Zealand