Nick has been with Al Tamimi & Company for about ten years, initially specialising in intellectual property, but for most of his time with the firm as a key member of the Technology, Media & Telecommunications team. Nick’s practice area includes technology transactions (including procurement, software licensing, consultancy services and outsourcing), technology and intellectual property aspects of corporate and commercial transactions, privacy and data protection, e-commerce, media and advertising, and telecommunications. Nick is the author for the UAE chapter of Data Protection & Privacy, 3rd Edition (the Sweet & Maxwell International Series).
- An international telecommunications company in respect of local law considerations relating to the proposed launch of a mobile app for third party remittance and mobile top-up services;
- A major financial services provider in respect of regional data protection compliance;
- Various international healthcare and education sector technology providers in respect of local government procurement requirements, and associated contractual negotiations;
- Global internet data centre providers in respect of the regional regulatory environment for the establishment and operation of data centres and cloud computing operations;
- A global social media platform operator in respect of regional content regulation and risks associated with the proposed roll-out of a curated content offering;
- An oil & gas sector technology provider in respect of a dispute involving rights in software code developed in the course of a project;
- A number of local banks with regard to a variety of operational technology agreements, including data hosting, software licences, annual maintenance agreements, mobile device applications, prepaid card systems, security and communications.
2000 – LLB, University of Otago
1997 – BA, University of Otago
2008 – Solicitor, Supreme Court of England and Wales
2005 – Legal Practitioner, Supreme Court of New South Wales
2001 – Barrister & Solicitor, High Court of New Zealand