Philip is a Partner and Co-Head at the Al Tamimi & Company Kuwait office, and is head of the Corporate Commercial department in Kuwait. Prior to joining Al Tamimi in October 2009, Philip was a senior legal consultant with DLA Piper, where he focused primarily in the corporate, commercial, banking and finance sectors.
Philip is a US qualified attorney and has accumulated a broad range of experience in the areas of local and transnational commercial and corporate transactions, corporate establishments, mergers and acquisitions, corporate/joint venture organization, banking and finance as well as substantial experience in the commercial and finance aspects of Kuwait PPP projects. He began his legal career in the U.S., where he gained vast experience in complex commercial transactions, petroleum distribution and marketing transactions and has litigated complex commercial matters before U.S. state and federal courts.
Additionally, Philip is known in Kuwait for his vast skills in complex restructurings (corporate and debt related) and has been deeply involved in Kuwait’s large infrastructure projects, including water desalination and power generation plants and wastewater treatment plants.
Philip is consistently recognized and awarded by top global ranking agencies as a leading lawyer in Kuwait and is widely known in Kuwait for his expertise in his areas of practice.
- Leading the Kuwait representation of various consortia with respect to the Az-Zour North 2 Independent Water & Power Project, an IWPP Project with the Kuwait Ministry of Energy & Water, with respect to the development, financing, design, engineering, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance and transfer of a greenfield power generation and seawater desalination plant.
- Leading the Kuwait representation of a consortium with respect to the KABD Municipal Solid Waste Project, a PPP Project with the Kuwait Municipality, advising on the design, engineering, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance of a waste-to-energy facility.
- Leading the Kuwait representation to the Kuwait Authority for Partnerships Projects as part of a consortium with HSBC and the Fichtner Group with respect to the Umm Al Hayman Wastewater Project, which will comprise the design, financing, building, testing, commissioning, operating and maintaining of a wastewater treatment plant with a treatment capacity of 450,000 m3/d and to be done on a Public Private Partnership basis.
- Represented a consortium of international banks and agencies led by Japanese Bank of International Cooperation, Nippon Export & Investment Insurance and National Bank of Kuwait with respect to the Az-Zour North IWPP Project and its related US$ 1.2 Billion plus financing, which is expected to provide approximately 1,500 MW of additional power generation capacity and 100 MIGD of desalinated water. The project was the first one to be completed in Kuwait on a Public Private Partnership basis.
- Acted as leading Kuwait counsel for Goshawk Aviation, a joint venture between Investec Bank and Chow Tai Fook Enterprises, in an agreement to acquire the fleet of 15 Airbus A320s for US$ 507 Million from Jazeera Airways.
- Represented and representing several large multi-national, medium, and small foreign companies in applying for 100% foreign owned licenses issued through the Kuwait Direct Investment Promotion Authority.
2003 – LL.M., University College London
2001 – Juris Doctor, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
1997 – Bachelor of Arts (BA), Michigan State University
2006 – U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit – Cincinnati, Ohio
2005 – U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit – New Orleans, Louisiana
2004 – U.S. District Eastern District of Michigan – Detroit Michigan
2001 – State Bar of Michigan