Jiwon is a Senior Counsel of Al Tamimi & Company’s Corporate and Commercial Department and leading the firm’s Korea Group.
He has over 12 years of extensive experience representing corporate, financial and government-affiliated clients in varied sectors including Energy, Infrastructure, Engineering & Construction and Defense on a broad range of contentious and non-contentious matters. He also has been placed on a number of in-house secondments with major firm clients in both project-specific and general commercial roles.
Jiwon actively counsels Korean multinational companies and government entities conducting business in the Middle East. Jiwon has previously served as a senior counsel for Korea Resources Corporation, which governs all of national overseas investment activities in natural resources, and also worked for a major Korean law firm in Seoul. A native of Korea, Jiwon is currently acting as a special legal advisor to both Korean Consulate General and the Embassy in UAE and also serves on the Ministry of Justice SME Legal Advisory Board and writes a regular column in the K-Build Journal.
- Korean contractors on various commercial and operational matters, claims, local court and arbitration proceedings in the region.
- A major Korean contractor on the operation of an EPC JV company in KSA in conjunction with the Sovereign Wealth Fund of Saudi Arabia.
- EMA Power/ Daelim EMA, investment vehicles established in DIFC between Daelim Energy and IDB Infrastructure Fund II, managed by ASMA Capital, targeting renewable energy projects in the region on management of the companies by providing deal opportunities and development advisory services.
- Abu Dhabi Motorsport Management LLC for annual Formula OneTM Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and other sporting events in all aspects of negotiation/drafting of sponsorship, procurements, maintenance and services agreements (Secondment).
- Bloom Properties, the property development subsidiary of Abu Dhabi-based National Holding on a range of commercial and contractual matters including drafting all corporate and financing transaction, security and ancillary documentation for large residential and commercial projects (Secondment).
- Korea Resources Corporation on (i) acquisition of an aggregate of 44% additional interest for a major copper mining interest in Mexico, (ii) execution of a series of standstill extenstions with the PF creditors and normalization of project financing in the amount of USD 759 Million and (iii) Rule 144 A / Reg S Offering of USD 500 Million under its USD 3 Billion GMTN Programme.
2006 – LL.M., John Marshall Law School
2005 – J.D., Handong International Law School
2002 – B.A., Handong Global Unversity
2006 – New York, USA