Ahmed Al Barwani is the Head of the Oman Office. Ahmed is also a member of the Projects, Banking, Litigation, Rail and Hotel & Leisure sector groups.
Ahmed is admitted before Oman courts and has right of audience before Court of Appeal. Ahmed worked mainly in two jurisdictions, the United Kingdom and Oman, and was involved in substantial local and cross border transactions that have both civil and common law elements.
Ahmed’s particular expertise is in inward investment, corporate restructuring, corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions. Ahmed’s experience extends to other practice areas including arbitration in construction disputes, litigation, competition, tax and customs matters, banking, real estate and hospitality, banking and employment. Ahmed represented Oman government negotiating Avoidance of Double Taxation Agreements, Free Trade Agreement with USA and other Construction and Development Agreements of Infrastructure Projects in Oman.
In addition, Ahmed has developed solid regulatory experience on regulatory aspects that include formalities for registration of the transactions and type of permits and licenses required for different projects.
Ahmed’s language capabilities and in depth understanding of local administrative culture enabled him to gain wide experience on regulatory aspects and participate in drafting number of Oman laws, e.g. Issuance of Sukuk Regulation, Consumer Protection Law, Anti-Trust Law, amendments to Implementing Regulation of Telecommunication Act, Dispute Resolution Regulation and Public Consultation Regulation.
- Halliburton Corporation: Advised on divestiture of Halliburton’s assets held in Oman as a consequence of the merger between Halliburton and Baker Hughes.
- BRF: Advised on the acquisition of remaining 40% in the share capital of Al Khan Food Stuffs.
- Majid Al Futtaim Ventures: Advised on the acquisition of an 80% stake in the City Cinema from Sultan Group.
- Salam Air S.A.O.C: Advised on all corporate aspects in relation to the joint venture for the funding of Salam Air’s establishment and new fleet of airplanes.
- Global Buyout Fund L.P: Advising on the transfer of 51% shareholding in Al Jazeera Steel Products Co, SAOG by way of a special order.
- An Asian multinational banking and financial services company: Advised on funding of assets and taking securities over the assets through commercial mortgages.
2004 – LLB Law, University of Wales
2013 – Court of Appeal Lawyer Oman