Ahmad is a Canadian attorney and engineer with 12 years of higher education studies in law and engineering and over 13 years of international and local experience in IP and commercial law. Prior to joining Al Tamimi in September 2013 as Head of Patents & Designs (R&D Innovations), he worked for reputable Canadian and International law firms.
In addition to his Legal and engineering backgrounds, Ahmad has recently completed an Executive Program in General Management, Innovation & Technology from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management, which adds a substantial plus value to his already very heavy kit of qualifications and skills. Ahmad has also earned a certificate in Artificial Intelligence for Business Strategies from MIT. Ahmad brings to the benefit of clients a rich three- dimensional expertise combining legal, technical and business.
Ahmad is particularly experienced and knowledgeable in high technology industries including ICT, computer/software, electrical/electronics, telecommunications, healthcare, aerospace & defence, optics, biomedical, mechanical, transport, education, energy and oil & gas. He represents a wide range of clients in these sectors, ranging from individual inventors and entrepreneurs to multinational companies and Universities, in the protection, management and enforcement of their innovations locally and internationally.
Ahmad regularly advises governmental entities, research institutions and consultancy firms in a wide range of innovation related matters including, high level innovation strategies, legislative, regulatory, innovation policies, processes, innovation fostering, and setting legal frameworks for the implementation and deployment of innovation projects and organisations inside the country.
He also assists clients in the private sector in a wide range of IP and commercial-related matters, including advising on regional and international patent protection strategies, advising on the patentability, freedom-to-operate and the validity/infringement of inventions, conducting due diligences in the frame of technology transfer and rights acquisitions, negotiating and drafting technology transfer and other innovation related agreements, advising in dispute resolution matters involving IP conflicts including patent litigation, managing global patent portfolios, and drafting and prosecuting patent applications worldwide including, MENA, the US, Europe, Canada and the Far East.
Ahmad is one of the most experienced patent lawyers and innovation councils in the Middle East and is widely recognized for his strategic and visionary thinking and leadership. Ahmad sits on various committees and advisory panels including, the Global Advisory Panel of the UAEU Science & Innovation Park, the Global Entrepreneurship Monitoring (GEM) UAE Steering Committee, the Innovation Advisory Board of the Dubai Healthcare Authority and Herriot Watt Advisory Board. He regularly mentors start-ups throughout their business cycles, from the incubation stage to advanced maturity stages. Ahmad is regularly invited to speak at innovation events and has been interviewed on various television channels, newspapers and magazines in relation to innovations, entrepreneurship and intellectual property, including Dubai TV, Emarat TV, Fujairah TV, the National, International Bar Association, Thomson Reuters and has an extensive library of publications.
- Assisting a UAE investment company in negotiating and drafting a big number of R&D and innovation related agreements with commercial partners, and advising them on IP and particularly patent protection strategies for various types of technologies;
- Assisting a major gaming company in a complex IP litigation case in the UAE involving disputed rights on a sophisticated gaming software;
- Assisting an international pharmaceutical company in a patent litigation case in KSA against the importation of generic drugs, and on procedures with SFDA and MOH.
- Assisting an international pharmaceutical company in a patent litigation case in Jordan against the importation of generic drugs, and on procedures with JFDA and MOH.
- Advising on and drafting IP laws associated to a UAE free zone authority;
- Advising on Blockchain regulations for a UAE free zone authority;
- Assisting a number of local and regional innovators including universities in the protection of innovations leading to drafting, filing and managing the prosecution of hundreds of patent applications in different technological sectors across a wide number of countries worldwide.
- Assisting foreign corporations in patent protection strategies of their innovations and in prosecuting of more than 1500 patent applications throughout the MENA region.
- Assisted in fostering and protecting more than 100 inventions coming out from the United Arab Emirates.
- Assisting local and regional clients including universities in the preparation and negotiation of IP agreements, including license agreements and R&D collaboration agreements.
- Assisted the UAE Ministry of Interior with IP protection of their assets.
- Mentoring and advising R&D and Innovation based start-up companies.
- Assisting a multinational company in a sophisticated patent infringement case in the UAE.
- Assisting a multinational company in an industrial design infringement case in the UAE.
- Assisting a multinational company in a patent invalidation case in the UAE.
- Assisting a multinational company in a patent invalidation case in KSA.
- Assisting a regional company in defending against the opposition of the grant of a patent at the GCC Patent office.
- Assisting a Saudi patent owner in a patent infringement case against a telecom operator in KSA.
- Advising an employer company in patent ownership and in setting a recompense scheme with employee inventor.
- Assisting a defence company with the technology transfer of know-how and other IP assets in the frame of a technology transfer transaction.
- Assisting a US pharma company in a contentious matter against a generic pharma company related to the deployment of a generic drug in Jordan.
- Advised a governmental entity about recommended revisits of labour law for encouraging and fostering innovations.
- Advising a governmental innovation incubator about various legal aspects related to innovation projects.
- Assisting a pharmaceutical company in the frame of patent clearance searches and Freedom-To-Operate opinions in a large number of countries across the MENA region.
- Assisting a large local company in setting out internal IP policies and guidelines.
Speaker, Middle East Healthcare Revolution Summit 2019 – Abu Dhabi
Speaker, Additive Manufacturing Middle East Conference 2019 – Dubai
Speaker, Smart Health Conference 2018 – Dubai
Speaker, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) 2018
Speaker, Global Legal & IP ConfEx Conference 2018
Speaker, Global Innovation Summit 2018 – Dubai
Speaker, Mohamed Bin Zayed Majlis for Future Generations 2018
Speaker, GCC Healthcare Innovation Congress 2018 – Dubai
Panellist, Judge, Harvard Arab World Conference 2018 – Beirut – Healthcare Innovation
Panellist, Innovation Management Forum: Innovation for GCC Social Economic Development 2018 – Bahrain
Speaker, Arab Innovation 2018 – Dubai
Speaker, UAEU: Protection of Innovations 2018 – Al Ain
Speaker, Economic Development Bank Event – Protecting IP Rights 2018 – Bahrain
Speaker, World IP Forum 2018 – Dubai
Judge, Seedstars MENA Summit 2017 – Bahrain
Panellist, GCC Blockchain Conference 2017 – Dubai
Panellist, Global Legal & IP Conference 2017 – Dubai
Panellist, MENA Private Equity & Venture Capital Summit 2017 – Dubai
Speaker, 4th GCC Healthcare Innovation Congress- Innovations in Healthcare 2017
Speaker, GITEX – Science Fair 2017
Speaker, Energy & Environment Breakfast Seminar 2017 – Dubai Science Park
Speaker, Technology Transfer Roundtable Event 2017 – Dubai
Speaker, IIPLA 3rd Dubai IP Congress 2017 – Patent Reforms and Future of Innovation
Panellist, Dubai Science Park Life Science Discussion – E-Health and IP in Healthcare 2016
Speaker, Global Legal & IP ConfEx 28th Sept 2016, Dubai
Speaker, Innovation Commercialization, Legal Vehicles & Strategies for the Protection and Commercialization of Innovations in the Defense, Space & Security Sector 2016
Speaker, IIPLA 2nd Dubai IP Congress 2016 – IP Methodologies in the Oil & Gas Sector
2019 – Executive Program in General Management, Innovation & Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sloan School of Management
2019 – Certificate in Artificial Intelligence for Business Strategies, MIT, Sloan School of Management
2010 – Common Law (DESS), University of Montreal
2005 – Civil Law (L.L.B.), University of Montreal
2004 – Electrical Engineering (M.A. Sc.), Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal
2002 – Computer Engineering (B.Eng), Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal
2006 – Quebec Bar
2002 – Orde des Ingenieurs du Quebec