Madhurima Basu is a Senior Associate in the Banking & Finance practice in Al Tamimi & Company’s Kuwait office. Prior to joining Al Tamimi & Company, Madhurima was senior legal counsel in Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank PJSC based in Abu Dhabi.
Madhurima has over 10 years’ experience advising on banking and finance transactions in the Middle East. She specialises in debt capital markets, loans, structured products, fixed income, money market and derivatives (conventional as well Sharia compliant equivalents) transactions. She has particular expertise in drafting and negotiating standard and complex derivatives transaction documents across all asset classes.
- Acted on behalf of the Goldman Sachs International and Bank of America Merrill Lynch in Kuwait in the US$ 325 million 8.625% fixed rate notes due 24 April 2024 issued by ADES International Holding Ltd. The company operates as a holding company and, through its subsidiaries, provides oil and gas drilling and production services in Egypt, Algeria, and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Assisted H-Energy Mideast to train its staff on ISDA Agreement, CSA and new regulations and negotiate ISDA Agreements
- Advised National Bank of Kuwait to review and negotiate Client Cleared OTC Derivatives Addendum and cleared derivatives execution agreement (CDEA) with a Tier 1 global bank acting as clearing member
- Acted on behalf Kuwait Petroleum Corporation as borrowers on a KD 350 million and a USD 1 billion revolving syndicated term facilities with notable international and Kuwait banks as lenders
- Advised certain foreign banks on the netting issues in Kuwait
- Advised an Abu Dhabi based fund manager on EMIR classification of their wholly owned funds
- Represented the various international banks as lenders in a series of bilateral facilities totalling USD 400 million with a Kuwait conventional bank as borrower
- Advised Warba Bank to negotiate Shariah compliant repo agreements (collateralized Murabaha) and Shariah compliant ISDA TMA Schedule, credit support documents and profit confirmations with various GCC and international counterparties
- Advised Al Hamra Group to negotiate a loan linked ISDA Agreements and standard ISDA Agreements with UAE banks
2009 – LLM in International Commercial Law, King’s College London
2007 – B.A. LL.B. (Hons), The WB National University of Juridical Sciences
2013 – England & Wales (Solicitor)
2007 – Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa