The first Law Update of 2024 is here, and our first focus of the year spotlights Healthcare and Lifesciences, a sector that is undergoing significant growth and development across the MENA region.
Our focus provides an insight into some of the most important regulatory updates across the region, such as the UAE’s groundbreaking law on the use of human genome, Kuwait’s resolution on nuclear and radioactive materials, the new regulations for healthcare services in Qatar, Egypt’s healthcare regulatory framework, and the impact of the Saudi Civil Transactions Law on the healthcare and life sciences sector … and there is so much more!
Beyond the healthcare pages our lawyers share with you multi-sector insights where you will discover articles on Dubai’s DIFC regulatory framework for startups, Bahrain’s commercial agencies law, and we also shed light on Kuwaiti civil code and the advantages of setting up a joint stock company in Saudi Arabia.Read the full edition
Hassan A. Eltahir is a Partner in Al Tamimi & Company’s Litigation and Legislative Drafting departments. Hassan has extensive experience in legislative drafting, and advising on litigious matters as well as representing client in the litigation casein both the UAE and Sudan.
He graduated in 1996 from the University of Omdurman – Sudan with a Bachelor of Law and Sharia. In November 2009, Hassan was awarded a masters degree in human rights and criminal justice from the University of Aberdeen in the United Kingdom. Apart from his well developed skills in legislative drafting and contractual drafting Hassan also has a good knowledge of international commercial arbitration and intellectual property.
Since 1997 he has worked as a lawyer, a private advocate and in the Ministry of Justice as a legal counsel. During his work as an advocate, he was involved in providing legal advice in various law branches such as company law, intellectual property, insurance law and labour law as well as conducting litigation before all courts in Sudan and in UAE as in-house litigation lawyer at Al Tamimi & Company.
Hassan joined the Ministry of Justice in 2001 as a legal counsel. He initially worked in the public prosecutor and in the executive office of the Justice Minister before moving to the human rights department, he also worked as part time legal counsel for many governmental departments, such as Khartoum state, ministry of investment and Statistic Bureau.
During his work in the Ministry of Justice, Hassan advised the Ministry and governmental departments on an ongoing basis on matters concerning development of legislation including subsidiary legislation. He participated in drafting many first drafts of laws such as the Statistics Law (both federal and local), Political Parties Law, and the Law establishing the Human Rights Commission.
Hassan has also advised Khartoum Locality in the drafting of subsidiary legislation. He helped the Locality to develop regulations relating, among other areas, to public health, education, local taxation and public sanitation.
While in the Human Rights Department at the Ministry of Justice in Sudan, Hassan was the head of the section responsible for drafting international reports. He was also the author of Sudan’s periodic reports to human rights treaty bodies, such as the Human Rights Committee, the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
After joining Al Tamimi, he has been involved in all legislative drafting assignments in the office which include assignment to draft legislation for the federal level as well as emirates’ level in particular the emirate of Abu Dhabi and Dubai, for instance, Hassan has made the first draft of the new the construction works law for the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, pension law, Dubai decree to establish Emirates Maritime Arbitration Centre and the public debit law in the emirate of Abu Dhabi. He has significantly participated in drafting Abu Dhabi law No. 3 of 2015 on the Regulation of the Real Estate Sector and its 6 executive regulations.
As an in-house litigation lawyer, he handles many litigation cases and provides legal advice and consultation for various leading clients including government bodies, Hassan clients include but not limited to, Zones corps, Abu Dhabi Port Company, Abu Dhabi Airport Company, Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank, Credit Swiss Bank, Abu Dhabi Media Company, Abu Dhabi Pension Fund, Department of Municipal Affairs, Zayed Foundation Khaifa Fund for Enterprise and Emirates Development Bank.
• Drafted the Abu Dhabi Law No.3 of 2005 on the Regulation of the Real Estate Sector and its 6 Executive regulations.
• The Law regulating the construction work and its executive regulations in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
• The KSA Real Estate Regulations and KSA Law on Property Registration.
• Assisting in drafting of UAE Corporate Tax Law.
• Drafted Trust Law for the UAE.
• Drafted several regulations for the Free Zones including Regulations of the Companies, offshore companies regulations.
• Drafted Special Economic Zone Law, bonded zone regulations for King Abdulla Economic City Authority.
• Drafted law regulating the public debt and its management in the emirate of Abu Dhabi,
• Drafted Federal law on the establishment of education authority.
RETAIL AND COMSUMER
• Assisted AD Department of Finance to develop its procurement manual.
• Reviewing and Auditing the Consumer Protection Systems and Standards of the UAE Central Bank.
• Develop Procurement regulations for KSA General Authority for Military Industry.
• Drafted Fujairah Procurement law, represented major international and national companies on trademarks cases, Federal Industry Law
• Assisted UAE Central Bank to develop the Ombudsman for Financial Institutions.
• Preparing the executive regulations of Law No. 11 of 2018 Organizing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
• Drafted Executive Regulations for the Diplomatic and Consular Corps Law No. 1 of 2019
• Drafted laws related to retirement pension and benefits in Abu Dhabi as well as pension regulations and bylaws.
• Drafted golden residency Policies Guide at the Residents Office at the Department of Economic Development in Abu Dhabi.
HEALTHCARE AND LIFE SCIENCES
• Drafted AD health insurance law and its executive regulations.
• Drafted Animal Welfare Legislation for Abu Dhabi
TECHNOLOGY, MEDIA AND TELECOMUNICATIONS
• Drafted federal electronic transaction law, drafted a Digital Signature Law (Federal Government- Telecommunications Regulatory Authority).
• Drafted Law on the reorganization of Abu Dhabi Centre on Electronic and Information Systems.
• Drafting federal space law and its regulations.
ENERGY AND RESOURCES
• Drafting law that regulating use of non-drinking water in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
• Drafted establishing law of ADCON Gaz as well as ADNOC Gaz’s Assets.
2009 – LLM, University of Aberdeen
2002 – High Diploma in Law, Judicial Institute for Training and Legal Reform Sudan
1996 – LLB, University of Omdurman
1997 – Sudanese Legal Association