The Construction & Engineering Team
With a strong reach across the Middle East, Al Tamimi’s Construction and Engineering team is one of the regional leaders in this area of practice.
With a strong reach across the Middle East, Al Tamimi’s Construction and Engineering team is one of the regional leaders in this area of practice. The value we can bring to our clients does not stop at the site and negotiating table. In each of our regional offices, we hold the capability to support our construction clients on almost any legal issue that crosses their desks; corporate set-up /structuring, employment and labour issues, local litigation and summary relief, project finance and securitization and even securing commercial premises and staff accommodation.
The Construction & Engineering team provides legal expertise with a practical focus to both local and international clients; whether for residential or mixed-use developments, utilities, power, transport, roads or hospitality and leisure facilities. Always with an eye on our clients’ commercial objectives, we support our clients with a comprehensive knowledge of legal principles underpinning infrastructure and construction projects in the region.
Regional Head, Steven Hunt is supported by a team of lawyers experienced in providing expert guidance on risk management and dispute avoidance. When disputes cannot be avoided, our litigation, arbitration and mediation experience allows us to deliver the best commercial solution for our clients, while our knowledge and ease with the jurisdiction and subject matter goes towards maximising the prospect of a successful outcome in the most cost efficient manner.
The Construction and Engineering practice provides all the legal services required to deliver a construction and engineering project, from concept to delivery. These include:
- Drafting tender documents including requests for tender, instructions to tenderers and tender addenda;
- Drafting and negotiating all forms of project related contracts, including consultancy agreements, construction contracts, design and build contracts, design, build and operate contracts and engineering, procurement and construction contracts;
- Drafting and negotiating bespoke agreements such as development agreements, concession agreements, finance agreements;
- Drafting and negotiating contracts based on industry standard forms, alliance contracts, PPP contracts and operation & maintenance agreements;
- Drafting and negotiating dredging and offshore works agreements;
- Preparing and negotiating protective documents for stakeholders such as novation agreements, collateral warranties and step-in agreements;
- Drafting and negotiating supply, maintenance and service contracts;
- Strategies for dispute avoidance and risk management, including assisting with the establishment of proper contract administration tools and providing training programs for project management and contract administration, and preparing and defending delay claims;
- Dispute resolution (i.e. litigation, arbitration and ADR) ;
- Contract workshops for clients in relation to specific projects.
In addition to the services provided directly by our Construction and Engineering team, the strength of the firm and range of practice areas, means that the Construction and Engineering team works very closely with other key practice areas at Al Tamimi. Practice areas we work closely with include:
Local Law Expertise and Litigation
When conducting construction arbitration we use a combination of our construction disputes expertise and arbitration case management skills and local law experience. From our clients’ perspective this operates seamlessly and seeks to optimise the experience we possess at Al Tamimi & Company while managing the dispute process in the most efficient way. Our Construction and Engineering team works closely alongside our local law practitioners. This is particularly important when it comes to interlocutory issues (jurisdictional challenges, injunctions, performance bonds etc.) and enforcement of judgments and awards.
Banking & Finance
The Banking and Finance practice assist infrastructure/construction clients on the funding elements on project. The practice is able to advise on the local law issues which concern privately financed projects and advises lenders and borrowers on all aspects of structuring, negotiating, documenting finance transactions and securitisation issues.
The Corporate Commercial team provides support to many of our construction and engineering clients by way of advice relating to corporate governance, joint ventures, shareholder agreements and share acquisitions.
The Employment practice compliments the construction and engineering department by advising on the issues facing developers and contractors such as workplace safety, recruitment and termination of staff at all levels, settlement negotiations and severance agreements, service agreements and contracts of employment for all categories of staff, including directors and senior executives as well as issues relating to government owned entities that are subject to the various applicable civil service laws in the relevant jurisdiction.
The Real Estate team can assist our construction clients with securing commercial premises and staff accommodation and renewing and renegotiating lease agreements.
The breadth of service we can offer puts us in a unique position in the construction law sector and sets us apart from other specialist law firms.
For more information on how we can assist you, please contact
Regional Head of Construction and Engineering, Steven Hunt: email@example.com