Dispute Resolution In Al Tamimi & Company
Litigation : Al Tamimi & Company boasts the largest, strongest and broadest dispute resolution practice in the Middle East.
Our team comprises dispute resolution lawyers based in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kuwait and Iraq with experience resolving disputes in the local courts of each of the countries in which we operate, as well as the Dubai International Financial Centre Court that is second to none. Many of the senior individuals within the team are recognized as leading practitioners in their field. Whatever problems our clients face, wherever they occur in the Middle East and beyond, we are strategically placed to assist.
Led by Hassan Arab who is one of the leading and most respected dispute resolution practitioners in the region, our team of highly qualified and experienced practitioners from the Middle East, Europe, Australia, Africa and North America brings a breadth and depth of legal expertise and experience that is unequalled in the UAE and Gulf. Our lawyers include a team of UAE nationals with rights of audience to appear before all Courts of law in the UAE. Not only are our litigators licensed to appear before the local UAE Courts, we are also honoured to have on our staff a retired senior judge who has served an impressive thirty years behind the bench. We take pride that several of our lawyers are recognized arbitrators who have acted as sole arbitrators in several complex matters.
In addition to the UAE litigation practice, Al Tamimi has one of the largest and leading the Dubai International Financial Centre (“DIFC”) Courts’ practice groups in the UAE led by Rita Jaballah. Al Tamimi was actively involved in the establishment of the DIFC Courts and we have been involved with the DIFC Courts’ Users’ Committee and DIFC Court Rules Sub-Committee. We have a number of solicitors and barristers qualified in other jurisdictions registered to appear before the DIFC Courts. To date we have been involved in some of the leading DIFC Court of First Instance and the DIFC Court of Appeal cases to come before the DIFC Courts.
The teams’ success is recognised by the leading legal directories with Chambers stating that our lawyers ‘excel at local law litigation’ and have commented that, ‘the sheer breath of the firms presence around the world ensures that clients can always find informed advise on local disputes’
Our clients rely on our global perspective and our in-depth knowledge and understanding of local and regional laws. We advise and represent clients involved in local, DIFC, regional and international commercial disputes. Our familiarity with federal and local government, federal and local laws, the laws and regulations of the Free Zones, and with the many Courts and tribunals operating across the UAE and the Middle East, enables our clients to conduct their affairs with increased certainty and efficiency.
OUR SERVICES AT A GLANCE INCLUDE:
- Domestic and Regional Commercial, Banking and Finance, Intellectual Property, Property, Construction and Employment Disputes and Litigation (including all disputes filed before specialist tribunals such as the Rent Committee and Specialist Judicial Committees
- Multijurisdictional Litigation
- Mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution
- Enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards
- White collar crime and all forms of criminal prosecution and defence
What distinguishes Al Tamimi & Company’s Dispute Resolution practice from others, though, is that, as part of the local community, we understand the local culture. Emphasis on local knowledge and abilities has been and will continue to be a key characteristic of the practice. Having international skills and talent while remaining a local firm is one of the pillars of our success.
Deputy Managing Partner
Regional Head of Litigation
Hussain Eisa Al Shiri
Head of UAE Litigation
Head of Dubai Litigation
Head of DIFC Litigation
Mohammed Al Marzouqi
Head of Litigation, Abu Dhabi
Zafar Sheikh Oghli
Head of Sharjah office
The Arbitration team consists of international lawyers with considerable experience of arbitrating disputes in a variety of regions and industries. The team is led by Essam Al Tamimi who is a distinguished and highly respected practitioner and speaker on both the local and international arbitration scene. The firm’s practitioners include lawyers from the UK, Australia, United States and India, and they regularly write, consult and lecture on arbitration around the world.
The Firm’s arbitration expertise extends to all types of disputes and industries, including:
– Corporate and commercial problems
– Agency disputes
– Joint venture disputes and company/corporate related issues
– Shareholder disputes
– Fraud aspects arising out of international trade
– Bilateral investment treaty claims and matters arising out of international treaties generally
– Disputes relating to sale of goods and commodities
– Performance bonds, guarantees, letters of indemnity, banking collateral agreements
– Disputes regarding the sale, purchase and construction of property and infrastructure
– Insurance, re-insurance and mutual assurance issues.
The team regularly advises on the enforcement of domestic and foreign awards in the Middle East, and provides expert witness evidence in arbitration proceedings in various jurisdictions on a range of issues under UAE law.
The team also handles arbitrations conducted in Arabic, and works very closely with other departments such as Construction, IP, Transport & Shipping and the Property Department to prevent and resolve our clients’ problems.
Our Arbitration lawyers have extensive experience in all types of arbitration work including ICSID and UNCITRAL arbitrations and arbitrations before the following:
- The Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
- The DIFC – LCIA Arbitration Centre
- Abu Dhabi Commercial Conciliation & Arbitration Centre (ADCCAC)
- GCC Commercial Arbitration Centre, Manama, Bahrain
- The International Court of Arbitration (ICC)
- The London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- London Maritime Arbitrators Association, London Metal Exchange, the Refined Sugar Association, Grain & Feed Trade Association, Federation of Oils Seeds and Fats Association, Coffee Trade Federation, Cocoa Association
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration
- Ad hoc arbitration tribunals in the UAE, Geneva, Stockholm and Moscow
Another key attraction Al Tamimi offers is that it is a one-stop shop which covers every aspect of a commercial dispute, since it offers expertise in mediation, conciliation, arbitration, and litigation, and can take a case from the preliminary advisory stage all the way through to enforcement. Many firms have to outsource their local court work to independent UAE law firms at great expense and inconvenience to their clients, but that is not the case with Al Tamimi & Company. The Arbitration and Litigation teams work alongside each other on a day-to-day basis to provide comprehensive and effective support to our clients.
The Arbitration and Litigation teams enjoy a varied and interesting practice that deals with a wide range of problems. We believe it is a real privilege for us to learn about our clients’ business and assist them in any way possible. Although every problem is uniquely different, we believe there is always a commercially pragmatic and effective solution, and we make sure we attempt to find it for the benefit of those instructing us.
Regional head of Arbitration