Our Financial Crime team is the regional leader for complex financial crime and related matters. The team specialises in the provision of advisory and litigation services and are experts in dealing with regulatory bodies, cross-border issues and multiple jurisdictions.
We represent and advise a wide range of clients, including financial institutions, government-owned entities, multi-national corporations and high profile individuals. In addition to direct instructions from clients, our Financial Crime team is often the first port of call for international law firms, who recognise that we have the expertise and experience to offer their clients an unrivalled level of local law advice and assistance in the region in the most time-and-cost-effective manner.
Our team comprises lawyers from various civil and common law jurisdictions, including both native Arabic and English speakers. Our lawyers are able to utilise this breadth of international and regional expertise when offering our clients the comprehensive service that they require. We provide a full service starting with initial legal and strategic advice, to drafting in Arabic or English, culminating in effective advocacy in the local courts, or participation on a global scale with cross-border matters.
- Acting for clients across the full spectrum of financial crimes and related matters, including:
- Corporate fraud
- Breach of trust (embezzlement)
- Assisting clients with internal investigations into potential violations of regulations or criminal law and providing legal and remedial advice.
- Advising and representing on investigations conducted by regulatory bodies, including capital market authorities.
- Advocacy and representation before Financial Intelligence Units, Police, Public Prosecutors, Criminal Courts and INTERPOL.
- Local and international asset-tracing and freezing injunctions in the relevant jurisdictions.
- Advising clients on anti-money laundering (AML) and combating the financing of terrorism (CFT) issues, taking account of requirements originating from financial services authorities and other regulatory bodies.
- Providing corporate clients with advice on compliance with anti-corruption laws regionally and on the regional applicability of the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and UK Bribery Act.
- Advising on matters of extradition and mutual legal cooperation, including:
- Assisting both requesting states and private clients
- Liaising with interested parties in respect of human rights issues
- Experts on global economic sanctions and boycott regulations and their impact on corporations in the region
- Assisting clients with regard to the requirements under the Kimberley Process in respect of abuse of power and corruption within the diamond industry