Unkar is a UK-qualified Solicitor with over 10 years’ experience and has been based in Bahrain since 2014. He has established a strong reputation for his real estate expertise in Bahrain and the GCC through advice and assistance provided to high net worth individuals, government entities, sovereign wealth funds, developers, private equity houses and other institutional investors.
Unkar has advised on a wide range of regional and international real estate matters, including retail and commercial leasing, investment freehold acquisitions and disposals, residential and commercial developments, sale and leasebacks, complex due diligence exercises, and corporate and finance transactions relating to large scale mixed used developments, master planned developments and urban regeneration projects.
Prior to joining Al Tamimi & Company in 2017, Unkar worked for an international law firm in their Bahrain and London offices for several years. He also qualified and spent four years with one of the largest leading global law firms at the beginning of his legal career.
Unkar has co-authored many publications relating to real estate in the GCC and is a regular speaker on Bahrain real estate topics.
- Acting for Real Estate Regulatory Authority of Bahrain (RERA) in drafting the new implementation regulations to accompany Law 27 of 2017 Concerning the Promulgation of the Real Estate Sector Regulation Law
- a Quasi-Government entity, updating their entire portfolio of leases covering all asset classes (incl. residential, retail and commercial)
- a Master Developer, on several projects relating to Bahrain’s largest master plan, from a themed shopping mall to social and affordable housing
- a Municipality in Bahrain, with regards to the transformation of a popular market centre into a mixed-use destination and transport hub, taking into account its inability to divest of freehold ownership
- a large international real estate company based in Singapore, on the sale of its property in Bahrain Bay for USD 50 million
- a Quasi-Government entity, on its proposed acquisition of a Mall in Bahrain for BHD 32 million and leaseback to the Seller
- a Bahrain-based bank, on its USD 10 million acquisition of a prominent building in the Diplomatic area of Bahrain and leaseback to the Seller
- a land owner with a luxury high class hotel based in the Far East, on the negotiation of its Hotel Management Agreement and Pre-Opening Technical Services Agreement
1996 – Bachelor of Law (Hons), Nottingham Trent University
2006 – Solicitor, England & Wales