Rasha specialises in intellectual property rights with an emphasis on trademarks and copyright in the UAE and the Middle East region in general. Rasha advises both local and international clients across a range of sectors including FMCG, medial, auto manufacturing, real estate, electronics, technology, finance and hotels & leisure.
Rasha advises clients on the protection of their trademarks and has assisted in building and developing their brands, through managing their trademark portfolio and advising them throughout the appropriate usages and enforcement of their rights. With Rasha’s vast experience in the trademark protection and enforcement, she manages the IP audit practice and has handled major projects for general IP audits for her clients and within commercial transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions, IPOs and joint ventures.
Rasha assists clients in drafting and reviewing franchise and licensing agreements and other IP commercial agreements. Considering Rasha’s extensive regional experience in the IP field and specifically in handling IP disputes all over the region, she is able to identify and highlight the gaps in the protection as well as advice on the best practices for enforceable and watertight agreements that ensure maximum IP protection for her clients.
On the enforcement side, Rasha has extensive experience in managing and handling complex IP litigation cases for cancellation and infringement cases before Courts throughout the region. She has assisted clients in setting strategies for taking actions against serious infringers and major competitors. Rasha is also experienced in anti-counterfeiting and has assisted clients with their anti-counterfeiting activities in the UAE, and in developing regional anti-counterfeiting strategies in the Middle East, including in difficult jurisdictions like Iraq.
- Managed and handled a court action on behalf of a major UAE Real Estate Developer for the cancellation of 11 trademarks in UAE for a global entertainment company on the grounds of non-use.
- Managed and handled a court action in the UAE for invalidation of trademark assignment after 12 years of its recordal with the Trademarks Office.
- Managed a court action on behalf of a well-known US retailer for the cancellation of trade name in Qatar.
- Conducted IP audit for a Qatar Transport Company for the purpose of identifying their major IP assets and provide a plan and strategy for its proper protection.
- Conducted IP audit for a major UAE FMCG holding company and advised on the restructure of the IP ownership within the group companies.
2007 – Executive Education Programme, University of Pennsylvania
2005 – LLM in Intellectual Property, University of Jordan
2002 – B.A. in Law, University of Jordan
2004 – Jordan Lawyers Bar Association