Before re-joining the firm, Rafiq was Head of Legal at Barclays Bank in India. At Barclays, Rafiq led the legal team responsible for wholesale lending (including External Commercial Borrowing), trade finance and cash management.
Rafiq specialises in debt capital markets transactions and in advising banks on lending transactions, using both conventional and Islamic structures.
Rafiq Jaffer is recognised by both Legal500 and IFLR1000 as being a leading lawyer in the field of Banking, Finance & Capital Markets in Qatar.
IFLR1000 2017: “We regard Rafiq Jaffer as the leading lawyer in Doha for international clients on financing matters. He provides good quality legal advice and is easy to work with.”
IFLR 2016: “One client says the firm’s finance advice is on a par with several leading international firms with offices in Doha, noting that among this group the firm provides the ‘best value for money’.”
Legal 500 2016: “Rafiq Jaffer’s responsive and professional team has notable experience in domestic securitisations, Islamic finance and regulatory issues. Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank and Barwa Bank are among his new clients.”
Legal 500 2016: “Rafiq attracts a steady flow of instructions from the Commercial Bank of Qatar; one recent highlight was acting as lender’s counsel on a QAR630m facility to refinance an existing loan to Doha Bank.”
- Advised Qatar National Bank on a USD 1 bn refinancing provided to Barwa Real Estate and Qatar Real Estate Investment Company.
- Advised the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi as Lenders on a USD 1bn loan against Government Bonds listed on the Qatar Central Bank and Qatar Exchange
- Advised Qatar National Bank and Al Khalij Commercial Bank in a refinancing involving 9 Boeing 777 aircrafts involving Qatar Airways
- Advised a joint venture comprising of Mubadala Development Company PJSC, Total S.A and Occidental Petroleum Corporation for the provision of legal services in connection with the financing to be obtained by Dolphin Energy in connection with the Dolphin natural gas project
- Advised Qatar National Bank and Commercial Bank Q.S.C. in connection with a syndicated loan of QAR 700m to a Government developer
- Worked as Lead Counsel advising Al Khalij Commercial Bank on QAR 1bn Additional Tier 1 regulatory capital instruments – the first such issuance by Al Khalij Commercial Bank.
- Advised HSBC Bank plc and Mashreq Bank P.S.C. as Dealers and Arrangers on the Issuance of USD 2 bn Multicurrency Trust Certificates (Sukuk), a Sukuk programme established by Ezdan Holding Group Q.S.C.
- Advised HSBC Bank plc, Barclays Bank plc and QNB Capital as dealers in the issuance of a EUR 1.5bn Medium Term Note Programme for Ahli Bank Qatar.
- Advisors to Barwa Bank Q.S.C. in relation to a USD 2bn trust certificate issuance programme established and issued by BBG Sukuk Ltd.
- Advisors to the dealers in connection with the Qatar Islamic Bank Q.S.C. USD 1.5bn trust certificate issuance programme established by QIB Sukuk Ltd. (and QAR 2bn Additional Tier 1 capital instruments)
1998 – LL.M International & Commercial Law, The University of Buckingham
1997 – LL.B (Hons), The University of Buckingham
2007 – Law Society of England & Wales
1999 – Bar Council of India (Karnataka State)