Kamaljit is a Senior Associate in the Employment practice of the Qatar office. Prior to joining the Doha office, Kam spent two years in London working for Allen & Overy.
Kamaljit has worked in the Middle East for more than five years. She advises clients based in Qatar and the Middle East region on a broad range of contentious and non-contentious employment issues including: compliance with UAE laws (including the Federal Labour Law, the DIFC Employment Law and regulations applicable in the UAE free zones) and compliance with Qatar laws (including the laws of the Qatar Financial Centre), employment of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) nationals, international secondments or assignments, breaches of employment contracts and policies, disciplinary and grievance issues, redundancies, dismissal and other termination issues, end of service gratuity and terminable benefits as well as structuring employment contracts and arrangements across multiple jurisdictions.
Kamaljit is experienced in advising employers on all types of M&A and transactional work, advising in relation to entering new markets as well as employee transfer issues arising from company acquisitions and mergers in the GCC.
Kamaljit specialises in international employment law issues and regularly advises on cross-border employment matters including transnational restructuring initiatives, cross-border compensation initiatives and global roll-out of employment policies and contractual terms and conditions.
- Advising a leading bank in Qatar regarding the employment implications of its merger with a leading UAE bank.
- Advising a multinational computer technology corporation on a claim brought by a former employee in the Labour Courts in Qatar.
- Advising on executive remuneration including drafting a long term incentive plan in accordance with the Qatar Financial Centre laws.
- Advising a multinational insurance company on its pension product designed to be in lieu of statutory end of service gratuity.
- Advising on the employment ramifications in Qatar of the acquisition of an e-commerce marketplace serving the Middle East.
- Advising a multinational corporation on the employment and immigration aspects of establishing a branch office in Qatar.
2006 – Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, College of Law, Australia
2005 – Bachelor of Laws (Honours), University of Queensland, Australia
2005 – Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting), University of Queensland, Australia
2009 – Practitioner in the High Court of Australia
2006 – Legal Practitioner in the Supreme Court of Queensland Brisbane, Australia