John is admitted as a Solicitor in England & Wales and the Republic of Ireland. He has assisted clients in relation to disputes concerning construction, corporate/commercial, development, energy, investment treaty, IP, and telecommunications matters.
John has worked with the international arbitration practices of international firms in both London and Paris, including King & Spalding, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, and Skadden, Arps Slate Meagher & Flom. He has served as a legal officer with the United Nations Compensation Commission (UNCC) in Geneva, a subsidiary organ of the United Nations Security Council, as well as working as a partner with a top-tier commercial law firm in his native Ireland.
In addition to his work as counsel, John is a member of a number of international and domestic arbitration panels and sits as an arbitrator in DIAC disputes, WIPO domain name disputes, and as an Expert in ICC Expertise proceedings.
John has published and spoken widely on international dispute resolution, including contributions to a number of leading textbooks.
John has advised in matters seated around the world under a variety of rules, including the DIAC, ADCCAC, ICC, UNCITRAL, and LCIA rules, as well as ad hoc proceedings. He is ranked as “Gold” as an Arbitrator on the Newton Arbitration platform, listed in the Euromoney Guide to Leading Commercial Arbitration Experts (10th ed.) and Who’s Who Legal (2016).
- Leading Abu Dhabi master developer in numerous ADCCAC arbitrations
- Abu Dhabi government entity in a dispute with a UAE company concerning the construction of a photovoltaic plant (ADCCAC arbitration, Abu Dhabi seat)
- International industrial service provider in a dispute with a Korean contractor on major infrastructure project in Abu Dhabi (ICC arbitration, Abu Dhabi seat)
- Subsidiary of Abu Dhabi industrial group in a franchise-related arbitration (Ad hoc, Montreal seat);
- Abu Dhabi investment bank and asset manager in a BCDR-AAA arbitration
2002 – Diploma in International Arbitration, National University of Ireland
1999 – International Arbitration Course, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
1998 – Masters of Laws (LL.M.) with distinction in EU & International Trade Law, University of Amsterdam
1991 – Completing LL.B. dissertation on an EEC Law issue, Università degli studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia
1990 – Diploma Dublin Institute on International & Comparative law, University of San Diego at Trinity College
1990 – Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), University of Ireland
2007 – Solicitor in England & Wales
1994 – Solicitor in Ireland