John Dennett is a Senior Associate in the Corporate Commercial practice in Abu Dhabi.
John is currently on secondment as General Counsel, Tourism Development and Investment Company PJSC, Abu Dhabi
In his previous role as General Counsel and Board Secretary, Abu Dhabi Terminals he was directly responsible for providing overall leadership and management of all corporate and commercial legal matters at Abu Dhabi Terminals, including ensuring company processes and decision-making were consistent with good governance.
At ADT John introduced various initiatives for managing governance and operational risks, including a comprehensive corporate governance manual, corporate governance annual report, a director’s guide and other knowledge management tools for tracking key company obligations and compliance.
John was responsible for all types of contracts and agreements, including those relating to terminal establishment and expansion (terminal construction and operation- concessions, leases and asset acquisition agreements, partner agreements, such as MOUs and JVs and financing agreements) and operational agreements and documents, including port terms and conditions and tariffs, and those relating to port and terminal services provision, goods and services acquisition (including construction, equipment purchase and maintenance, manufacturing, IT (Including TOS) and stevedoring.
He is specialised in legal matters related to corporate governance and compliance, contracts and commercial, company secretarial, government and regulatory, non-‐profits, projects, ports, marine mergers and acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, information technology and intellectual property.
- M&A/VC/PE work in the UAE and regionally which has involved due diligence, negotiation and drafting of sale and purchase and investment agreements.
- Business establishment work and provision of corporate advice.
- Provision of legal opinions on the enforceability of legal arrangements in the UAE.
- Government & Regulatory work: advising the UAE Federal Government and Abu Dhabi Government entities on new laws, international best practice and the drafting of new regulations.
- Commercial work, drafting various contracts and advising on UAE law aspects.
1987 – LLB, Victoria University of Wellington
1988 – Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand