Ian specialises in all aspects of real estate and hotels and leisure related matters throughout the GCC. Ian trained in the City of London and qualified as a lawyer in England & Wales in 2006. He moved to the region in 2008 with Simmons & Simmons where he worked in both its Doha and Dubai offices for a number of years. After a subsequent period working in the Dubai office of a UK based law firm renowned for its real estate practice, Ian joined Al Tamimi & Company in Dubai in early 2017.
Ian has acted for a wide range of clients including institutional and other types of property investors, property developers, financial institutions, government bodies, landlords and tenants and owners and operators of hotels and serviced apartments. During his time in the region, Ian has worked on a number of high profile transactions. He has particular experience in, and focus on, the following areas:
- Acquisitions and disposals (including hotels and multi-let commercial buildings);
- Hotel/serviced apartments management agreements and ancillary documentation;
- Landlord and tenant matters in a wide range of sectors including office, retail and industrial (including advising upon rights of usufruct and musataha);
- Sale and leaseback transactions;
- Land development;
- Strata title and master community schemes;
- Unit sale and purchase agreements; and
- Drafting of property related legislation.
- Advising on the acquisition of five star hotels in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
- Drafting suite of hotel management documentation for regional hotel operator and negotiation of numerous hotel/serviced apartment management agreements.
- Advising developer on all aspects of a significant mixed use development at Al Maryah Island, Abu Dhabi.
- Drafting standard office and retail lease documentation for iconic building complex in Dubai.
- Advising master developer on the sale of plots in Ras Al Khaimah.
2001 – Postgraduate Legal Practice Course, College of Law
2000 – Postgraduate Diploma in Law, College of Law
1999 – Bachelor of Arts (Hons) English Literature, Newcastle University
2006 – Solicitor in England & Wales