Ahmad is a Canadian attorney and engineer coming with over 12 years of higher education studies in law and engineering and 12 years of western and local experience in IP and commercial law. He has worked for reputable Canadian and international law firms in the fields of Intellectual Property and Commercial Law before joining Al Tamimi as Head of Patents & Designs (R&D and Innovations) in September 2013.
Ahmad has particular expertise in high technology industries including ICT, computer, software, electrical/electronics, telecommunications, aerospace & defence, optics, biomedical, mechanical, transport, energy and oil & gas. He represents a wide range of clients in these sectors, ranging from individual inventors and entrepreneurs to multinational companies and universities, in the protection, management and enforcement of their innovations locally and internationally.
Ahmad advises governmental entities in a wide range of innovation related matters including high level innovation strategies, legislative, regulatory, innovation policies, processes, and innovation fostering. Ahmad also assists governmental entities in setting legal frameworks for the implementation and deployment of innovation projects and organisations inside the country.
Ahmad also assists clients in the private sector in a wide range of IP and commercial-related matters, including advising on regional and international patent protection strategies, advising on the patentability, freedom-to-operate and the validity/infringement of inventions, conducting due diligences in the frame of technology transfer and rights acquisitions, negotiating and drafting technology transfer and other innovation related agreements, advising in dispute resolutions involving IP conflicting matters including patent litigation, managing global patent portfolios, and drafting and prosecuting patent applications worldwide including the MENA region, the US, Europe, Canada and the Far East.
Ahmad manages over 1500 patent matters and 250 clients in a wide range of matters for both private and public entities.
Ahmad is one of the most experienced patent lawyers and innovation councils in the Middle East and is widely recognized for his strategic and visionary thinking and leadership. Ahmad sits on committees/advisory panels including the Global Advisory Panel of the UAEU Science & Innovation Park. Ahmad mentors start-ups throughout their business cycles from the incubation stage to advanced maturity stages. He is regularly invited to speak at innovation events and has been interviewed for various television channels, newspapers and magazines in relation to innovations, entrepreneurship and intellectual property, including Dubai TV, Emarat TV, the National, International Bar Association, Thomson Reuters and has extensive publications.
- Assisting a multinational company in a sophisticated patent infringement case in the UAE;
- Assisting a multinational company in an industrial design infringement case in the UAE;
- Assisting a multinational company in a patent invalidation case in the UAE;
- Assisting a multinational company in a patent invalidation case in KSA;
- Assisting a regional company in defending against the opposition of the grant of a patent at the GCC Patent office;
- Assisting a Saudi patent owner in a patent infringement case against a telecom operator in KSA;
- Advising an employer company in patent ownership and in setting a recompense scheme with employee inventor;
- Assisting a defence company with the technology transfer of know-how and other IP assets in the frame of a technology transfer transaction;
- Assisting a US pharma company in a contentious matter against a generic pharma company related to the deployment of a generic drug in Jordan;
- Advised a governmental entity about recommended revisits of labour law for encouraging and fostering innovations;
- Advising a governmental innovation incubator about various legal aspects related to innovation projects;
- Mentoring and advising R&D and Innovation based start-up companies;
- Assisting a number of local and regional innovators including universities in the protection of innovations leading to drafting, filing and managing the prosecution of hundreds of patent applications in different technological sectors across a wide number of countries worldwide;
- Assisting foreign corporations in patent protection strategies of their innovations and in prosecuting of more than 1500 patent applications throughout the MENA region;
- Assisting local and regional clients including universities in the preparation and negotiation of IP agreements, including license agreements and R&D collaboration agreements;
- Assisting a pharmaceutical company in the frame of patent clearance searches and Freedom-To-Operate opinions in a large number of countries across the MENA region;
- Assisting a large local company in setting out internal IP policies and guidelines.
2010 – Common Law (DESS), University of Montreal
2005 – Civil Law (L.L.B.), University of Montreal
2004 – Electrical Engineering (M.A. Sc.), Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal
2002 – Computer Enginnering (B.Eng), Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal
2006 – Quebec Bar
2002 – Orde des Ingenieurs du Quebec