Steve has extensive experience gained on a wide array of transactions underpinning the sports sector from governance issues to athlete endorsement agreements, anti-ambush marketing strategies, player contracts, broadcasting, merchandising and licensing agreements, disciplinary issues, and various sports-specific venue management arrangements.
He regularly advises foreign law firms, individuals, corporate entities, governing bodies and institutions on matters spanning motorsports, horseracing, triathlons, MMA, cycling, golf, tennis, cricket, rugby and football amongst others. With significant top-tier law firm experience in both North America and the Far East prior to moving to the Middle East, Steve spent a number of years at one of the largest law firms in Tokyo, representing clients on broadcasting rights and sponsorship contracts in connection with FIFA World Cups, X-Games, PGA tour sponsorships, videogame licensing and stadium naming rights deals.
Steve is an IAAF Judicial Tribunal member, a lecturer and advisor to numerous Sports Law LL.M. programs and he was previously General Counsel at Yas Marina Circuit managing the central legal function of the iconic F1 circuit, overseeing all contracts from F1 rights through sponsorship, broadcasting and venue contracts, as well as managing litigation and supervising secondees and outside counsel and advising the CEO and the Board on risk and strategy.
- AFC Asian Cup 2019, retained by the Asian Football Confederation and the LOC on a broad range of issues including IP protection and enforcement and legislative analysis.
- Abu Dhabi Motorsports Management LLC on the annual Formula One™ Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, relating to a range of events and initiatives held at the facility including triathlons, walkathons, 10km runs and motorsports endurance races, drag events, Formula Drift competitions and various manufacturer product launches and bespoke recreation packages.
- Dubai Arena: advising AEG Ogden Middle East LLC (venue operator) in connection with the launch of Dubai’s premier multi-purpose sports and entertainment arena, including on naming rights, sponsorship, ticketing and venue hire matters.
- Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority on commercial and licensing matters relating to the European Challenge Tour Event hosted by the Al Hamra Golf Club.
- Saudi Arabian General Sports Authority, a KSA governmental entity, to undertake a review of sports club regulations and advise on drafting and implementing various new regulations.
- UAE Tour Cycling, retained by RCS Sports and Events to provide comprehensive legal support for the combined UCI-sanctioned road race, including the master event staging agreement, all sponsorship, HSE matters, event ambassador agreements and broadcast arrangements.
- International Legends T-20 Cricket, Advising rights holder on first such tournament held in the UAE, on player auction processes, franchising structure, governance, match-fixing protections, and negotiations with the Emirates Cricket Board on licensing matters.
1998 – N.C.A (Hons), Dalhousie Law School
1996 – L.L.B. (Hons), University of Manchester School of Law
1992 – B.Sc., Mount Allison University
2006 – Barrister and Solicitor in New Brunswick
2004 – Attorney-at-Law at New York
2000 – Barrister and Solicitor in British Columbia