Stephen Jiew is a Senior Associate in the Intellectual Property practice in Dubai.
Trained as an Australian barrister & solicitor, Stephen has been practising exclusively in Intellectual Property since 1996 in multiple jurisdictions including Japan, Singapore & Malaysia with leading names in the IP arena in both private practice and inhouse.
As Intellectual Property Counsel at a leading Japanese boutique IP firm, Stephen gained invaluable experience in IP prosecution and contentious matters for a diverse range of US and Japanese MNCs in the biotechnology and electronics sectors.
Whilst being the Regional IP Counsel of Cadbury Schweppes Asia Pacific, a leading global FMCG company, he gained industry experience of the commercial and strategic value of IP on a regional scale through a ring side seat in managing the IP aspects of mergers & acquisitions, supply chain restructuring and the product innovation pipeline, from the inception of development to launch.
He has assisted clients in portfolio management and in negotiating complex cross border licences, technology transfer agreements, R&D agreements, evaluation agreements and collaboration agreements.
Stephen’s particular expertise is in devising strategic IP protection programs for large volume IP owners in managing their IPR portfolios locally and across multiple jurisdictions. He is well versed in orchestrating appropriate measures in alignment with clients’ corporate IP agendas where the local piece is part of a global filing and prosecution strategy.
Stephen has experience in managing landmark litigation cases for foreign MNC litigants where the boundaries of the law are tested.
With language skills in English, Mandarin, Bahasa & Japanese, Stephen enjoys cultural diversity and works seamlessly across cultures especially in bridging the East West divide.
Stephen is a regular speaker on the conference circuit including those organised by non profit
IP centric organisations such as INTA and IBA.
- Representing Ferrero in enforcement actions against trademark infringements and lookalike products in the region including Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Algeria and Kuwait. Coordinating complex enforcement raids in coordination with Government officials throughout the region.
- Representing Cipriani in trademark prosecution, portfolio management and complex oppositions in the region including Saudi Arabia, UAE and Qatar typically as part of a global litigation strategy.
- Representing Caterpillar Inc. in multi jurisdictional portfolio management across the MENA region in all aspects of IP protection including orchestrating anti counterfeiting programs, enforcement and litigation at all levels of the court, trademark prosecution, licensing and transactional matters.
- Advising a local pioneer in the hospitality consulting space in various trademark infringement and copyright infringement matters including online infringements.
- Advising a regional media heavyweight in IP advisory matters including strategy in acquisitions and online infringements.
1994 – LLB and B.Com, University of Adelaide
1996 – Advocate and Solicitor in High Court of Malaya
1994 – Barrister & Solicitor in Supreme Court of South Australia