Richard is an English qualified solicitor with over 20 years’ experience assisting local, regional and multinational clients in various sectors including financial services, professional services, manufacturing, engineering, education, hospitality and tourism, real estate, retail, healthcare, media, energy and natural resources and technology.
Richard leads on corporate transactions and restructuring matters, particularly in domestic and cross-border M&A, joint venture and privatisation contexts. Richard also regularly provides complex operational and commercial contract advice, including matters relating to consumer protection, intellectual property protection and exploitation, franchising, commercial agency and distributorship and competition and anti-trust issues. Richard often assists clients with the non-litigious disposal of significant contract and commercial disputes including labour law matters.
- Leading the team assisting a national utilities enterprise for its bid in respect of the privatization of certain state assets.
- Establishing and advising a joint venture company engaged in a significant real estate development public private partnership (PPP).
- Providing regulatory and structuring advice to an LSE listed investor in respect of Oman real estate investment trusts (REITS).
- Regional counsel for direct and indirect Oman company disposals by US-listed ECR business to Australian listed acquirer including pre-disposal restructuring. USD3.3Bn worldwide transaction.
- Joint lead counsel for Kerry Group plc on the acquisition of a food business based in Oman, KSA, India and UAE.
- Due diligence and structuring advice in respect of acquisition from government-owned JV partner of the 49% balance of equity not already owned by listed Omani heavy industrial concern.
- Advising one of World’s largest private companies in the oil and gas sector in respect of complex Oman competition law considerations relating to multi-million dollar acquisition.
- Advising on the acquisition by Majid Al Futtaim Group/VOX Cinemas of 80% shareholding in Oman Arab Cinema LLC including complex real property arrangements and competition law clearance.
- Advising on the acquisition by BRF GmBH of 60% shareholding in Al Khan Food Stuff LLC and associated competition law clearance in respect of potential economic concentration.
1997 – Legal Practice Course, Staffordshire University
1994 – Post Graduate Diploma in Law, University of Westminster
1991 – History BA (hons), University of London
1999 – Roll of Solicitors of The Law Society of England and Wales