Riaz is a Senior Associate in the Corporate / Commercial Team and was admitted to practice as a solicitor in England & Wales in 2010.
He joined the firm in June 2022 after having worked in London and Dubai for a leading international law firm and then in Muscat, Oman for several years with another global leading firm. He has also worked in-house for a sovereign wealth fund in Doha, Qatar and as a corporate lawyer for a leading firm in Cairo, Egypt.
Riaz has a number of years of experience in the region focusing on:
- drafting and advising on commercial contracts including franchise and distribution agreements and advisory work focusing on commercial agencies in the UAE;
- all aspects related to M&A corporate and restructuring transactions; and
- joint ventures and general corporate matters.
- Chinese renewable energy company: Advising this global supplier of solar energy panels and products on its distribution agreement with local partners in the UAE and the wider GCC region. The matter involved a complex rebate and market segmentation clause.
- Global supplier and manufacturer of sleeping products: Advising a US market leading producer of mattresses and sleeping products on its proposed franchise arrangements in the UAE and the wider GCC including advising on commercial agency considerations, risks and structure of such arrangements suitable for an international investor.
- Renowned West Asian jewellers: Advising a well known jewellery brand from West Asia on its franchise arrangements in the UAE and the GCC including drafting its franchise and distribution agreements with its franchisee. Our advice included advising on its development plan for the GCC and the commercial agency structure of the proposed franchise business.
- UAE multi-service company: Advising a large UAE family business on its proposed distributor arrangement with a multi-national Chinese car manufacturer including providing advice on UAE commercial agencies laws and proposed structuring for the arrangement.
- UAE tobacco manufacturer: Advising a large tobacco manufacturer and distributor of its arrangements with local suppliers including drafting template supplier agreements with local distributors.
- Japanese glass manufacturer: Advising a Japanese glass manufacturing conglomerate on the termination of its distribution and agency arrangements in the UAE as well as advising on UAE commercial agency laws.
- Global German multi service conglomerate: Advising this German household name on its termination of agency arrangements in the UAE and its restructuring of its local business.
Corporate / M&A
- Renowned West Asian jewellers: Advising a well known jewellery brand from West Asia on its disposal of its jewellery stores in the UAE and Qatar to an investor who will operate the business through a franchise arrangement in the wider GCC. The transaction involved advising on all aspects of the transaction including drafting an SPA for the UAE and Qatar entities.
- Japanese Investment Bank: Advising the Dubai office of this global investment bank on the acquisition of a stake in a listed company on the Muscat Stock Exchange. The transaction involved advising on all aspects of the transaction, regulatory approvals and disclosure requirements including the drafting of all acquisition documents which included a share subscription agreement and information memorandum and a red flag due diligence report.
- Major UAE district cooling provider: Advising on the acquisition of district cooling assets relating to a large mixed use development in Oman. The transaction involved drafting the asset sale and purchase agreement for the district cooling business, advising on all regulatory aspects including competition advice and advising on all closing mechanics and procedures for the transfer of the assets including the real estate and the plant and machinery.
- Global US Manufacturing Corporation: Advising on the divestment of a 50% stake in a thermoplastic pipe lining business based in Oman and Saudi Arabia. The transaction involved advising on the overall legal structure and the sale process, the SPA, an escrow mechanism and other ancillary documents. A key feature of the transaction involved advising on the transfer of intellectual property required for the operation of the business.
- KPS Capital Partners LP: Advising a renowned US private equity firm on its global transaction to acquire Lufkin Rod Lift Solutions from Baker Hughes. The transaction involved a due diligence of the local Oman entity, advising on completion mechanics, foreign investment approval and on completion of the local transaction.
- Fortune 500 US Industrial Gas Manufacturer: Advising on the acquisition of an industrial gases business from leading multi-service Omani company. The transaction involved an asset acquisition of business assets, a full scale due diligence, a merger clearance application to the competition authorities and drafting and negotiating the business purchase agreement and ancillary documents.
- UAE Master Developer: Advising on the acquisition of Cypriot companies holding a long lease of a Seychelles island resort granted by the Seychelles government. The transaction involved a complex SPA with alternative acquisition structures with sellers based in Hungary and Australia.
- Chinese sovereign wealth fund: Advising on all aspects of the acquisition and privatisation of an electricity distribution company in Oman. The transaction involved conducting a full scale due diligence, advising on the overall legal framework of the electricity sector, advising on labour law and corporate governance, reviewing and amending the SPA and shareholders’ agreement and all other transaction parameters.
- Luxury Italian brand: Advising a renowned luxury Italian fashion brand on its distribution and agency arrangements in the UAE. The matter involved advising on termination of its existing UAE agency arrangements, structuring advice for the most optimal company holding structure and drafting and negotiating of the joint venture agreement with the local UAE agent including advice on UAE onshore and free zone structures.
- Global wealth management organisation: Drafting of a joint venture agreement for a DIFC holding company for investment in the UAE and wider GCC region including advice on free zone company incorporation and advantages and disadvantages of free zones.
Leading UAE Electronics company: Advising this well established UAE based enterprise on its joint venture with a Swedish producer of bottled purified water. The transaction involved drafting and negotiating the joint venture agreement and advising on holding structure for the new joint venture entity.
2004 – LLM Master of Laws, London School of Economics and Political Science
2003 – Legal Practice Course, The College of Law, London
2002 – Postgraduate Diploma in Law, The College of Law, London
2010 – Solicitor, Senior Courts of England and Wales