Mahmood is licensed to attend all matters before the Bahraini Court of Appeal and is a Board Member of the Bahrain Bar Society. He is listed as a Certified Arbitrator before the GCC Commercial Arbitration Centre, a regional arbitration hub formed by GCC treaty, which has its regional office based in Bahrain.
Mahmood has over seven years’ experience in dispute resolution and litigation in Bahrain. He regularly represents clients in litigation and arbitration matters relating to construction contracts, maritime law, commercial agencies, insurance, intellectual property, trademarks and copyrights, employment, financial agreements and other corporate and civil disputes, in addition to advising on general corporate and commercial law matters.
- Represented a major retail developer/operator in two disputes (Urgent Matters and Civil) based upon a statutory direct right of action by a subcontractor against our client and the interceding main contractor concerning non-payment by the main contractor.
- Represented a construction company, its shareholders and directors (in their personal capacity) in defending a case filed by a contractor to claim the sum of BHD 3m and to pierce the corporate veil.
- Assisted a government entity in a legal action against a contractor and a bank in relation to a guarantee bond in the sum of BHD 316,224.
- Represented a CBB licensee in an international commercial arbitration dispute governed by BCDR-AAA rules with claims and counterclaims of approximately USD 3m. The Client sought termination of a services contract based upon alleged breach of a software provider’s contractual obligations.
- Representing a Consultant before Civil Court disputes filed by the employer seeking compensation and the appointment of experts. The employer alleged that our client was overpaid and the works rendered was defected and uncompleted.
- Representing and assisting shareholders of a company in ration to their dispute with the other shareholders regarding the management, ownership and trademark of private school and the company.
- Represented a foreign, State-owned oil company before the Bahrain Urgent Matters Court in a dispute related to attachment sought over USD 13bn of the company’s assets. In addition to obtaining a dismissal of the case, I assisted the client by advising on Bahrain law concerning international arbitration to support its argument for referral of any dispute to arbitration in accordance with the agreement in dispute.
- Representing various employers and employees in labour disputes including settlement assistance and litigation.
- Providing ongoing advice in respect to the statutory dissolution of a Bahrain sukuk issuer connected to the issuance of USD 650m in Sukuk certificates and an associated Ijara in Saudi Arabia.
- Representing a local insured company in litigating an insurance claim in the Bahrain courts relating to damage in excess of USD 2m arising during riots connected to the political turmoil in Egypt to the client’s businesses in Egypt.
- Advising International shipping companies in maritime compensation claims. Providing legal advice and pre-litigation assistance in relation to ship arrest regulations associated with a debt of nearly a half million US dollars.
- Assisting an employer in enforcing a non-compete and confidentiality agreement with ex-employee.
- Represented a criminal defendant in relation to a claim arising from an industrial accident. As Bahrain does not recognize legal person criminal culpability, this matter concerns a natural person being tried in place of his corporate employer.
- Represented several criminal defendants in relation to financial crimes (e.g. fraud, embezzlement, breach of trust, etc).
2015- Commercial Arbitration, GCC Commercial Arbitration Centre
2011 – International Diploma in Compliance, International Compliance Association ICA-IDC
2010 – Introduction to Insurance at BIBF, Chartered Insurance Institute CII
2008 – BSC in Law, Applied Science University
2007 – Associate Diploma in Law, University of Bahrain