James is a specialist shipping lawyer in the firm’s Transport & Insurance team. He represents clients in a range of instructions in the merchant shipping, yacht, and offshore sectors and has notable experience in the areas of ship finance and commercial shipping.
James has particular interest in cross-border transactions and contract drafting. He regularly advises local and foreign banks, investors, and owners on offshore corporate structures, facilities and securities for debt and equity financing in the UAE and abroad. His practice matter also includes: general commercial shipping, sale & purchases, flaggings & registrations, contracts of affreightment, trade finance, charterparties, international trade & logistics, ship buildings, and leasings.
James also has considerable shipping litigation experience. He has represented clients in an array of instructions relating to both wet and dry shipping matters, including; ship arrests, charterparty disputes, casualties, cargo claims and salvage claims.
- Advising regional bank in restructuring of ship finance facility for fleet following default by borrower.
- Counsel to Kuwaiti private equity fund in joint venture with German shipping entity for tanker acquisitions and operation under Cypriot corporate structure.
- Representing UAE bank in successful enforcement of share pledges against defaulting borrower, facilitating new beneficial ownership structures for two vessels, facilitating management of vessels, advising on subsequent vessel sale & purchases to third parties.
- Representing client in extensive LMAA arbitration concerning charterparty dispute.
- Advising Yemeni shipowner in restructuring of fleet.
2012 – LL.M (Shipping), University of Cape Town
2011 – LL.B, Stellenbosch University
2009 – BA (Law), Stellenbosch University
2015 – Attorney of the High Court of South Africa
2019 – Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England & Wales