Haroun advises private sector clients and high profile government entities on high-value technology, media and telecommunications contracts, projects and corporate transactions. He has extensive experience in technology development and procurement, e-commerce, e-payment platforms, smart cities, innovation projects, as well as regulatory issues concerning data protection, cyber security and e-marketing.
Prior to joining Al Tamimi, Haroun was a senior associate in the pre-eminent TMT practice of Australian law firm, Gilbert + Tobin. During that time, he completed a couple of secondments at Telstra (Australia’s leading telecommunications and media company) and subsequently served as Senior Legal Counsel at Hewlett-Packard Enterprise.
Haroun’s in-house experience has given him valuable insight into the challenges faced by businesses and governments alike in the TMT sector. He is valued by clients for his commercially sound, strategic and pragmatic advice.
- a GCC Ministry of Finance on the operation and upgrade of its electronic payment platform
- a government entity on a PPP project concerning the development of a Smart City (current)
- advising Telstra on various aspects of the $40 billion National Broadband Network project (including regulatory matters, commercial contracting, information security issues and disputes)
- a large Middle East Bank on revamping its suite of technology procurement contracts
- a leading electronic goods manufacturer on the release of its ‘Internet of Things’ products
- a cloud computing giant in relation to the establishment of a data centre in KSA
- a global technology company regarding a large technology outsourcing contract dispute with a GCC telecommunications service provider
- a European luxury car brand on a ‘connected car’ project
- a government owned company on the provision of a security and surveillance system for armored cash transport vehicles
- Foreign law firms and numerous businesses on regulations affecting personal data, privacy and cyber security
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise on the IT outsourcing of a leading Australian bank
- Telstra on the construction, relocation and maintenance of its telecommunications infrastructure
Managing software risk in Saudi Arabia, ITP.net (August 2018) (co-authored with Alex McCulloch)
2006 – LLB, University of New South Wales
2005 – B Com, University of New South Wales
2006 – Supreme Court of New South Wales