Andrew has a wide array of experience advising clients in the sports and events sector on sponsorship; broadcasting; merchandising; ticketing; player contracts; intermediary issues; athlete endorsement; disciplinary issues; regulatory matters and disputes. He regularly advises corporate entities, governing bodies, individuals and foreign law firms on matters spanning football, cycling, horseracing, motorsports, golf and tennis. Andrew also has a particular interest in the growing eSports industry.
Before joining Al Tamimi, Andrew was Legal Counsel at the (English) Football Association, primarily focussed on regulatory matters, dispute resolution and risk management. Highlights included re-drafting the FA Rulebook, acting as the Secretariat for the FA Rule K arbitration process and handling a number of cases heard by the UEFA Disciplinary Committee, the FIFA Disciplinary Committee and the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Prior to that, Andrew trained and qualified in the City of London at a large European law firm, where he gained further experience advising football, rugby, horseracing and boxing clients on regulatory, corruption and anti-doping matters. Andrew also spent six months working on the landmark inquests into the Hillsborough stadium disaster.
- Formula 1TM Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – seconded to Abu Dhabi Motorsports Management LLC (the operator of Yas Marina Circuit) to provide commercial legal support in connection with the 2018 Formula 1TM Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and the suite of other events held at the venue including motorsport, corporate and community events.
- UAE Cycling Tour – advised RCS Sports and Events DMCC (the event management appointee to the Dubai Sports Council and Abu Dhabi Sports Council) in relation to the merger of the Dubai Tour and the Abu Dhabi Tour UCI cycling events.
- Dubai Arena – advised AEG Ogden Middle East LLC (the operator of the venue) in relation to the launch of the region’s premier multi-purpose sports and entertainment arena, including in respect of naming rights, sponsorship, ticketing and venue hire matters.
- FIFA Club World Cup / AFC Asian Cup – advised a venue owner in relation to the use of their venue as a training site for teams participating in these high-profile international competitions.
- Match-fixing – defended tennis players in relation to corruption charges brought by the International Tennis Federation under the Tennis Anti-Corruption Program.
- eSports – advised a major international eSports publisher in relation to holding both online and offline tournaments in the United Arab Emirates
- Football Clubs, Players & Agents – advise numerous clubs, players and agents in connection with player contracts, regulatory compliance, disciplinary proceedings and disputes.
- Non-sporting events – routinely advise on legal issues relating to non-sporting events such as Expo 2020, trade conferences, galas and exhibitions, including venue management, governmental licensing and permit requirements, ticketing, supplier contracts, security arrangements, leasing options and health and safety
2018 – Sports Law Post Graduate Certificate, De Montford University (British Association of Sports Lawyers)
2010 – Law LLB (Hons), University of Nottingham
2015 – Solicitor, England and Wales