The Doha office is licensed by the QFC and works in association with Adv. Mohammed S. Al Marri Advocates & Legal Consultants, which is licensed by the Ministry of Justice. We have two lawyers within Qatar’s litigation practice who have full rights of audience before the courts of Qatar.
The Dispute Resolution team in Qatar is led by partner Hani Al Naddaf, a dual national of Syria and Canada, who is a senior litigation lawyer with over 23 years’ experience in his field of expertise.
Hani leads a top-tier ranked team, in the areas of both dispute resolution, and in projects, real estate and construction in Qatar.
He is closely involved in high-profile litigation matters in relation to construction, commercial agencies, trademarks, debt recovery, employment and real estate. Hani’s exceptional understanding of the principles of the Civil Code, and of Qatari law more generally, enables him to provide his clients with comprehensive legal opinions on the proper interpretation and application of relevant provisions of the law.
Hani has been involved in many of the most high-profile projects in Qatar in recent years. He is regularly sought out by major international firms to act as the local counsel expert in relation to large-scale international commercial and construction arbitrations for disputes governed by Qatari law under various rules such as ICC and LCIA.
Hani is recognised by both Legal 500 2017 and Chambers & Partners 2017 as being a leading lawyer in the field of dispute resolution in Qatar.
- Regularly advising international and local banks in their disputes in Qatar involving corporate facilities, Islamic finance structures, performance bonds and bank guarantees in relation to various projects. Hani’s regular clients include Standard Chartered Bank, HSBC, BNP Paribas, Mashreq Bank and Al Khaliji to name a few.
- Advising international construction companies on disputes with Employers and sub-contractors and advising employers on Qatar law in relation to key major infrastructure and real estate projects in Qatar. Hani’s clients include Bechtel, Hyundai Engineering & Construction Co., Aktor, Samsung C&T, UTC, Keppel, Sime Darby.
- Commercial Agencies: advising on the termination of longstanding distribution agreements and on the resultant compensation claims. Clients include Swatch Group, Otis Elevators, Richemont, and Jaguar-Land Rover to name a few.
- Acting as the Local counsel expert on large-scale international arbitration matters in relation to construction and commercial disputes governed by Qatari law. Hani works as the local expert with international law firms such as Bird & Bird, Hogan Lovells, Clyde & Co, CMS Cameron McKenna, Ince & Co. and Wong Partnership.
- Advising an international client on various aspects of Qatari law in relation to its rights and obligations under a construction contract, in addition to advising the client on a major EPIC contract with Qatar Petroleum at Ras Laffan in Qatar.
2006 – LL.M. Business Law, University of Montreal
1992 –LL.B. Law, Damascus University
1994 – Admission to Bar