Ashraf Shoukri is a Senior Counsel in the Litigation practice in Abu Dhabi.
He represents the firm’s clients in numerous litigation cases before all levels of UAE’s summary, local and federal courts, including representing major clients in criminal proceedings, civil claims and/or contractual liabilities disputes and interim measures related to different types of disputes.
Ashraf also represents clients in many major criminal proceedings, involving cybercrimes, fraud, breach of trust, insults and defamation, bribery, embezzlement of public funds, disclosure of secrets, theft.
Prior to joining Al Tamimi, Ashraf advised the Egyptian Government in several PPP projects, as he previously worked the legal advisor to the Ministry of Finance in Egypt, as well as advising the Public Private Partnership Central Unite attached to the Ministry on various mega infrastructure project tendered by the Egyptian Government for the private sector in the fields of power plants and water sanitation projects. He also provided legal opinions related to local and international laws, negotiated and drafted contracts, agreements and memorandum of understanding the Ministry of Finance concluded with parties such as endowment agreement with Harvard University, MIT University, cooperated with all the international financial organizations working in Egypt such as the IFC,IMF and the World Bank in mutual legal works took place with the government, managed and participated in working groups of drafting promulgated laws while holding the position of Senior Legal Advisor to the Minister of Finance for several years.
Ashraf participated in drafting promulgated financial laws and its Executives Regulations such as Income Tax Law, PPP Law and Mortgage Financing Law. He participated as a Short Term Legal Consultant to the World Bank in drafting the newly promulgated Microfinance Law 141/2014.
Ashraf is admitted as an Arbitrator before the Cairo Regional Center for International Commercial Arbitration “ CRCICA” , he hear corporate disputes arising from the implementation of commercial, civil and financial laws. He presided over several arbitration disputes were he acted as chairman and/or sole arbitrator.
Ashraf has over twenty five years of extensive experience in dispute resolution, litigation and legislative drafting works provided to the Government of Egypt. He was a Judge at The High Appeal Court of Egypt holding the Counselor grade, and a Chief Prosecutor at the technical office of the Prosecutor General of Egypt , Ashraf was appointed as a Public Prosecutor in 1991 after his graduation from the law school in 1988 and was a Judge in first instance and appeal courts hearing criminal, family law, civil, financial and commercial disputes for almost twenty years of his carrier.
He is currently a Lawyer/legal counsel admitted before the Court of Cassation and the Supreme Constitutional Court in Egypt since 2011 after his resignation from the Judiciary in October 2011.
- The Ministry of Interior UAE, Smart , Monitor, Alert and Control System 24/7 “ SMACS”, BOT contract concluded with the private sector to establish a fire monitoring and alert system.
- The Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy, Egypt, the establishment of Dairut Power Station, MW facility in cooperation with an international law firm and The IFC the technical advisor to the Egyptian Government in this project.
- The Ministry of Finance, Public Private Partnership Central Unit Egypt, the new Cairo waste water treatment plant project, first Public Private Partnership project to be tendered in Egypt, value of the project 2.646 billion EGP closed.
- Advising in cooperation with an international law firm, a major international advisory firm, the Ministry of Finance, Public Private Partnership Central Unit, Egypt, the Nile River Bus development project, supervised by the Ministry of Irrigation and Water Resources, Egypt, value of project 70 Million US dollars.
- Involved in reviewing commenting and participating in promulgated laws and regulations such as law no 67/2010 concerning Public Private Partnership in Egypt and other laws enacted in Egypt.
- Advising and providing numerous legal risk assessments for the firm’s client in relation to current and potential disputes
- Advising a major client in Abu Dhabi on different types of criminal offences in the UAE.
- Drafting and negotiating a settlement agreement dispute concerning a 67 Million AED in relation to a settling the client debt to a major government authority in Dubai.
2007 – Government Economic Reforms and Regulations, University of Bradford
1997 – LL.M Masters of Law in International Law, University of Essex
1988 – LL.B Faculty of Law, Cairo University
Egyptian Bar Association
Admitted Attorney at Law before the Supreme Constitutional Court, Court of Cassation and the Supreme Administrative Court.