- +965 (0) 2 246 2253 (Kuwait)
- +971 (0) 4 331 7161 (UAE)
- Dubai Maze Tower, UAE
- Kuwait City, Kuwait
Alex Saleh is a Partner and the Head of Private Equity & Cross Border Transactions. With over 20 years of both MENA and US experience, he has accumulated sizable expertise in the areas of banking & finance, mergers & acquisitions and large-scale infrastructure projects. Establishing the Kuwait office of Al Tamimi & Co in the fall of 2009 with only 3 lawyers, Alex has since grown the office to over 20 lawyers.
He represents the majority of the financial institutions based in the State of Kuwait in all facets, including basic bilateral facility agreements, syndicated loan transactions (conventional and Sharia-compliant) and project finance. Within the banking arena, he has developed strong and professional relationships with most of the lenders he represents as well as the relevant banking and investment regulatory bodies. He has also been involved in many of the large bond and Sukuk Debt Capital Market transactions in Kuwait.
In the corporate arena, Alex has closed on a significant number of MENA-based merger & acquisition deals in various industries including energy, pharmaceuticals, finance, communications and aviation. He has also represented many private equity groups in many of these acquisitions developing and building a good relationship with them over the years.
In addition, Alex has also been involved in most of Kuwait’s large infrastructure projects such as power generation plants, water desalination plants and wastewater projects, in the context of both public private partnerships and more traditional structures. On various transactions, he has alternatively represented the State of Kuwait, private sponsors and project lenders depending on the particular deal.
- Acted as legal counsel to KNPC for the Clean Fuel Project in relation to the facilities granted by Export Credit Agencies (JBIC Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., Mizuho Bank Ltd. and the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, Tokyo Branch) amounting, in total, to US $ One Billion (US$1,000,000,000);
- Represented Standard Chartered Bank, in its capacity as Mandated Lead Arranger, in re relation to an acquisition financing facility for a subsidiary of Alabbar Enterprises in connection with its US$ $ Billion acquisition of Kuwait Food Company (Americana) KSCP, a major Kuwaiti Public Shareholding Company;
- Represented Warba Bank, in its capacity as Issuer, in a US$ 500 Million Tier 1 Sukuk issuance, which is being led by Standard Chartered Bank as Lead Manager
- Acted as Kuwait counsel for Goshawk Aviation, a joint venture between Investec Bank and Chow Tai Fook Enterprises, in an agreement to acquire the fleet of 15 Airbus A320s for US$ 507 Million from Jazeera Airways;
- Represented the shareholders of FasTelco, Kuwait’s leading internet service provider, in the sale and disposition of the company to Ooredoo Kuwait, one of Kuwait’s three mobile telecommunications operators;
- Representing three separate consortium groups with respect to the Az-Zour North 2 Independent Water & Power Project, an IWPP Project with the Kuwait Ministry of Energy & Water, with respect to the development, financing, design, engineering, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance and transfer of a greenfield power generation and seawater desalination plant.
1991 – Juris Doctor, Georgetown Law School
1988 – Bachelor of Arts (Magna Cum Laude), Wayne State University
Commonwealth of Virginia Bar
State of Michigan Bar
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit