The Governments of the region have recognised the importance of developing human capital and therefore the need to concentrate on educating the population. As a consequence, notwithstanding the general economic slowdown, moneys are still being spent for this purpose.
Education is a key focus for Al Tamimi & Company, which reflects the current growth of the sector in the MENA region. Our education experience is drawn from all of our relevant practice areas, including corporate structuring, employment, corporate commercial, intellectual property, regulatory and dispute resolution.
We advise all kinds of education providers including colleges, universities, training academies, schools and pre-schools, on:
- Setting up of entities onshore and in free zones across the GCC including advising on structuring and restructuring of education-related businesses
- Mergers and acquisitions including due diligence, advising on optimal structure for acquiring businesses, seeking regulatory approvals, negotiating and finalising all transaction documents and implementing the restructure and acquisition for companies acquiring education sector assets
- Joint ventures including establishment of joint venture entities onshore and in free zones
- Financing such as advising an international funds specialising in student accommodation and creating legal documentation in relation to funds for establishment and expansion of education businesses
- Real estate including, advising generally on land law, development and leasing requirements as well as more specifically on tenant and landlord obligations, assessment of building standards and arrangement of musataha agreements with government entities and developers
- Construction and infrastructure including construction, operation and maintenance of new campuses
- Employment issues including contracts, review of HR policies and general HR matters
- Intellectual property including copyright assignment, ownership advice and model agreements
- Legislation & policy and operational regulatory compliance, particularly with education authorities and other relevant organisations, including food & drug and customs authorities
- R&D and innovations, patent protection and commercialisation of inventions
- Dispute resolution including advice on alternative dispute resolution